Vaping has gained significant popularity among young Islanders over the past few years with 55.2% of high school students having tried electronic vaping products, and 39.3% having used these products in the last 30 days.
This growing issue is the result of:
- Inviting youth-friendly flavours;
- Creative marketing targeted to youth;
- Ability to hide use, making easier to use in places you cannot smoke;
- Limited understanding about health risks among youth;
These elements have made vaping products relatively accessible and easy to use by youth.
Preventing youth from starting:
You can help!
- Get the facts and share information about the potential harms of vaping
- Be patient and ready to listen
- Avoid criticism or judgement
- Be honest and encourage an open discussion
This short video from Health Canada provides an overview an overview on vaping.
For more information & resources (click each to access resources):
Vaping Products Information for Families
Vaping Products Information for Educators
Vaping Products Information for Coaches
In the News
The PEI Lung Association has partnered with the PEI Home and School Federation, Sport PEI and the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning, with funding through the Department of Health and Wellness to develop this resource to help address concerns about youth vaping.
1 Health Canada (2018). Canadian Student Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs Survey. Retrieved from: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/canadian-student-tobacco-alcohol-drugs-survey.html