Vaping has gained significant popularity among young Islanders over the past few years with 55.2% of high school students having tried electronic vaping products, with 39.3% having used these products in the last 30 days.
This growing issue is the result of:
- Inviting youth-friendly flavours;
- Creative marketing targeted to youth;
- Ability to hide use, making easier to use in places you cannot smoke;
- Limited understanding about health risks among youth;
These elements have made vaping products relatively accessible and easy to use by youth.
Youth Vaping Awareness Day (2021) - Video (16 mins)
Click here to view
This video was developed in partnership with the PEI Lung Association, the Chief Public Health Office and UPEI. The video is shown to Island students in grades 7-9 to build awareness of the social and health harms associated with vaping.
The video is also available with French subtitles click here to view
Preventing youth from starting:
You can help!
- Get the facts and share information about the potential harms of vaping
- Be patient and ready to listen
- Avoid criticism or judgement
- Be honest and encourage an open discussion
For more information & resources (click each to access resources):
Vaping Products Information for Families
Vaping Products Information for Educators
Vaping Products Information for Coaches
2020-01 Youth & Young Adult Vaping Project
In the News
The PEI Lung Association has partnered with the PEI Home and School Federation, Sport PEI and the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning, with funding through the Department of Health and Wellness to develop this resource to help address concerns about youth vaping.
1 Health Canada (2018). Canadian Student Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs Survey. Retrieved from: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/canadian-student-tobacco-alcohol-drugs-survey.html